Sunday, January 30, 2011

Kapcon 2011 (Part Two)

Day two of Kapcon rolled around and I was again up early. With my supplies restocked and a headache taken care of, it was back down to Wellington High and pretty much straight into session four.

This meant 'Big Trouble in Little Freesboro' for Gamma World run by Luke, which I thought would be something light and zany to ease back into the day. Turns out I wasn't wrong. It was my first experience with the D&D4E/Gamma World system and Luke made it painless, even if the early morning start for my brain meant I was a little slow off the bat with the mechanics. Character creation itself was a sort of mini-game, and I ended up with a speedster/electrokinetic called 'Sparky', who also rode a motor cycle and owned a canoe. As you do! There was a nice mix of combat and roleplaying, and I glad we didn't push on to a third big combat. As a result, I would be keen to play some more in the future.

We finished pretty much right on time so, after some lunch and an involved chat about gaming with Igor, it was on to session five where I re-ran 'The Lesser Evil or the Greater Good'. Again the game went well and the players performed admirably. Everyone was starting to fade a little energy wise, but this meant the game had more of a subtle, 'noir' feel to it, with repeated spying and backstabbing going on amongst the team. The ending was also a thing of cinematic beauty.

After the break it was time for prize giving and a general giving of the thanks before session six. I opted for Liam's 'The Matter Involving the Moon' for Cathulhu (Call of Cthulhu for cats), as I had played in the preceding scenario to this one last year and was interested to see what happened in the squeal. I ended up playing Mr Wobbles, the overweight and narcoleptic, but extremely cute and wise housecat. 

Since everyone was feeling a little tired and we had some first timers who were looking a little confused about the whole 'roleplaying a cat' thing, I channelled the spirt of Winston Churchill and started chewing the scenery a little to get things going. Thankfully this put everyone in the right frame of mind and we were soon off on our zany cat adventures, which led us to many strange a exotic places. Liam ran a good game keeping the momentum of the story going, but also allow us enough roleplaying opportunities to channel our inner felines.

The evening saw Liam, myself and a couple of the Auckland guys head to Norm's after party which turned out to be a whole lot of fun. A late finish saw me fall into bed exhausted but happy for another year.

Thanks to everyone who contributed to Kapcon whether through playing, GMing or organsing. I had a great time, achieved what I set out to do and got to meet some awesome people.

1 comment:

  1. Now you can see why I didn't want to do late night Gamma World :)

    ReplyDelete