Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Kapcon 2011 (Part One)

Well the high energy madness that is Kapcon is over for another year and, as usual, I had a great time. Not only was it an immensely satisfying weekend of roleplaying, it was also a great chance to talk games with people and generally bath in the reflected geek glory of New Zealand RPG scene.


Things kicked off on Friday night with the pre-con drinks at JJ Murphy’s on Cuba Street. The venue was well selected and it provided a chance for people to catch up with friends before the Con started. I joined in an interesting discussion involving Marcus, Dale and others about the nature of horror roleplaying before heading home to finish cutting out handouts and packing my kit for the morning.

I was up bright and early the next day and heading down to Wellington High School slightly optimistically in shorts and jandals. Round one saw me play in Idiot's Going down to Dunwich scenario for the Laundry Files RPG; a sort of Dilbert meets Lovecraft with a sprinkling of the IT crowd in the mix. Idiot ran a solid game with well constructed characters which proved a great introduction to the world of the Laundry Files. I've always found round one to be a bit of a hard slot for GMs as players are still warming up to the con, so Idiot did a great job of keeping the plot flowing and leading it on to satisfying conclusion.

Since we finished a little over time in round one, the break before round two saw me gobble up my lunch and set up for my first running of The Lesser Evil or the Greater Good, my Cold City scenario. I was a little unsure how it will all sit together after the playtest changes, but I shouldn't have worried as the players really came to the party and produced a great game. Special thanks need to go to one of the Auckland guys - Malcolm I think - for his great portrayal of Captain Bloom, which was possibly the toughest role. However everyone involved totally gave their all and the game really popped, leaving me a relieved GM.

Round three saw me back up Cold City with running The Herald of the Yellow Sign for Call of Cthulhu. Now this one I was worried about as I had offered to run it a couple of weeks before the con and only had time to read through it twice briefly before running it. My energy levels were also a little low. However I needn't have worried as the enthusiasm and willingness of the players to follow the story really lifted and re-energised me. It was especially nice to have a bunch of the Auckland LARPers in the group as they brought an additional level of characerisation and physicality that helped everyone get into character with ease. Special mention must also be made of the zombies groans coming from Siege Mentality II on the same floor as it provided a nice creepy backdrop to the story of dread Carcosa come to medieval Britain.

As most people started preparing for the LARP, I headed off into town with Dave, an old Hamilton buddy, and some of his friends for a well deserved curry and a couple of beers. It was great fun catching up with him and chatting to Liz and Russell, though after a full belly we were all feeling the need for a rest, so I headed home to bed with thoughts of what day two of Kapcon held in store.

No comments:

Post a Comment