Saturday, January 25, 2014

Gaming goals for 2014

Kapcon always nicely book-ends the gaming year for me, so it's generally about this time I start thinking about what I would like to accomplish gaming-wise in the upcoming year.

Goals

Run an RPG campaign for my Monday night group

Last year was pretty crazy for me work-wise, which meant my plans to run a campaign didn't get off the ground.  I am hopeful that this year will be different, especially as this week I start running a D&D 4E Dark Sun campaign for my Monday night group.  

The boys have created a bunch of interesting characters, so I think this will be a really fun campaign, and I feel I can apply much of what I learnt from running 4E in 2012.  I did give serious thought to running one of the epic Call of Cthulhu campaigns for the group instead, but I thought this would be a better match with my busy work schedule.

Likely completion: Q2 2014.


Play in 'Horror on the Orient Express'

Dale is planning to run the recently re-released 'Horror on the Orient Express', so I'm keen to get my ticket and hop on board.  These epic Call of Cthulhu campaigns are always great fun and, depending on how it goes, it could also be a trial for me running it for the Monday group in the future.


Likely completion: Q4 2014.

Paint my Chinese Federation Dystopian Wars force

I am a slow painter.  A really slow painter.  I have started playing Dystopian Wars with Dale and some others from my Thursday night group, and have really been enjoying it.  I have made a good start with painting my Chinese Federation fleet but, while I enjoy painting, it just takes me so long.  I'm hopeful that by giving myself the year in which to do it, I can have it completed. Hopefully I'll least get a portion of it done soon so I can get it on the table and start playing with them.


Likely completion: Q4 2014.

Write another EPOCH scenario

2013 was a great year for me from a writing point of view, as it saw my first RPG writing published in the form of two scenarios for EPOCH.  I'm hopeful that I'll be able to get another one of these turned out this year, even though I know writing one of them is a pretty large commitment.

It's unlikely I'll get it done in time for the EPOCH companion, but I have some interesting ideas rattling around involving either vikings and a plague pit, or a tropical island holiday resort on the cusp of a violent storm.

Likely completion: Q3-4 2014.


Help organise Fright Night 8

I have volunteered to help organise Fright Night 8 for October 2014, which is a one night, two session convention that focuses on horror gaming.  I'll also probably end up writing and running a game for it as well. 

It's a pretty competitive RPG convention scene out there, but I'm convinced that the people involved with Fright Night 8 have the ability to pull off something pretty special, so it's exciting to be part of it.

We're in the early stages of planning for the con at the moment, but keep an eye on the websitefacebook page and twitter account for more information and regular updates.

Likely completion: Q3 2014.

Start developing my own RPG product

I would like 2014 to be the year where I start working towards my own independent RPG release.  I don't think I'll get it released this year, but I would like to be in a position by the end of the year where I have a game that's ready for play-testing and release in 2014.

I'm not quite sure what yet this product will yet be, but I have a couple of ideas in mind and, with rise of print-on-demand printing and e-publishing, I really have no excuse not too.  More information about this project will come in future blog entries.



Likely completion: Q4 2014.

So these are my goals.  I've tried to keep them as manageable and realistic as possible, but I'll have to wait and see what 2014 brings me to see if I can get across the line on all of them.  

I'll be providing regular updates on these projects here (if I keep to blogging regularly), so keep an eye out on my progress.

2 comments:

  1. That's some kind of organised! I heartily approve of all of these goals - especially the one where you write me a new EPOCH scenario! Your public are hungry for more.
    With regards to your planned game, I would be pleased to offer any and all help that I can.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also you probably should swap Orient Express and the Chinese completion dates?

    ReplyDelete