Monday, February 6, 2012

Back from a long weekend away

I am back in Wellington after a long weekend away up in Auckland with the in-laws. It was really nice, but I'm feeling pretty wiped. I feel like I may be coming down with a cold as well, so it will be an early night for me.

However a nice surprise was that my copy of the RPG Umläut: Game of Metal was in the letterbox waiting for me when I got home. Umläut was one of the games I spotted in the Games on Demand room at Kapcon earlier in the year. It is a GM-less game where each player creates and plays a heavy metal band seeking fame and fortune. Given the fondness I and my fellow ex-Hamiltonian friends have for heavy metal (being of good bogan stock), I knew this would be a good choice.



I can't say much yet, but I understand it operates in a similar style to Piledrivers and Powerbombs where there are set pre-gig, gig and post-gig scenes in which the different bands try and gain more points than each other. Conflict resolution is done using playing cards, which makes it quick and effective.

I'll read it through and round up the lads for a few games before I post on it next, but in the mean time I'll leave you with this handy metal chronology to prepare you.

5 comments:

  1. I have a feeing that we should try this out when Mark comes down to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah - I had a feeling that would be a good time to try it out. I'll make sure I've swatted up on it by then.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great chronology in that link. Been trying to work out what the differences in the genres are. Now I think I understand!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had a stall at the UK IndieCon a couple of years ago, and this was one of the games that certainly drew the attention from across the room.
    To be honest, if i had heard "Ace of Spades" yelled out much more i thnk i may have cracked!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Graham. That song will certainly feature strongly on the soundtrack for the game.

      Your comment reminds me that I need to write up my Kapcon experience of running AFF 2nd Ed. In short, it went really well. It's a great game.

      Delete