Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Cthulhu Dark

Things have been a bit mad lately with wedding and travel plans, so the old blog has been a little neglected, but I felt compelled to point out Cthulhu Dark, a rules light system that I stumbled across a couple of days ago. 

Written by Graham Walmsley - the author of a number of highly regarded scenarios for Trail of Cthulhu including 'The Dying of St Margret's' and the 'Dance in the Blood' - Cthulhu Dark is a minimal, two page rules system for Cthulhu roleplaying that focuses more on story and character than mechanics. Reading such a stripped down rules set is incredibly fulfilling. It presents a real common sense approach to gaming by providing the freedom to engage deeply and directly with the story without the rule set defining the game itself. I really like what I see.

Graham has also released some additional rules (well, rather rules in progress) that expand on the basic rule set and provide a little more 'depth' to the mechanics.

I have been kicking around the idea for a while of running a Cthulhu game via Skype with some mates from out of town (and country), and I can see this as being the perfect solution to finding an easy and quick system for that medium, though I might fiddle with things here and there. It also could be very useful in a convention setting as well.

I think there is a lot of potential in Cthulhu Dark for some quick and deadly fun, and I look forward to giving it a trial in the near future.

No comments:

Post a Comment