Saturday, May 29, 2010

Why I play...

A Game for Grown-Ups


"It's for this reason that Ken Hite, for example, has called CoC the only adult roleplaying game ever made, because it presumes that your characters aren't venal, self-interested rogues interested in lining their pockets and increasing their fame. Instead, they're men and women who labor, almost certainly unknown, to fight against the Dark that threatens to consume us all, in the full knowledge that they may not only fail but lose all that they value in the process of their fight. That's some heavy stuff right there and it's why I still love Call of Cthulhu despite its flaws."


The always interesting RPG blog Grognardia sums up for me pretty well my continued fascination and enjoyment of Cthulhu based games despite the inherent bleakness of the subject matter. It's probably the most heroic RPG I can think of!

No comments:

Post a Comment